[ubuntu-za] Follow up from LOCO Ubuntu ZA re-verification

Leon Gert Marincowitz lmarincowitz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:08:09 UTC 2015

Hi All

I thought to wait a while till after the festive season to follow up on the
email I wrote to the Loco council after our verification regarding two
issues:

   1. Apt offline
   2. Cd's
   3. Ubuntu Phone

I wasn't quite sure what he was going on about and have no idea how this
apt-offline thing will work for use but anyway, here is his email.

Any proposals how to go forward?

--------------------

The package apt-offline is actually a very nice tool to allow you to
perform "apt-get update" in a disconnected fashion and bridge connectivity
gaps.  Xubuntu's offline documentation set has a chapter about the tool
here: http://docs.xubuntu.org/1410/offline-packages.html .  The
documentation is tested as I'm the one that wrote it as part of the
conditions of getting the package seeded.  Situations like connectivity in
Africa were part of why it would be best included and I pushed for us to
include it wearing my hat as a member of the Xubuntu Team.  Further details
about the package can be seen here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=apt-offline

Fortunately the dependencies are few enough that you can realistically get
away with hard-core manual "dpkg -i " style installations on non-Xubuntu
boxes.  Ritesh is a good upstream and has been pretty responsive.

I'm going to get back to the issue of localizing discs to include a default
for #ubuntu-za for IRC that came up during the meeting.  Taking a look at
my not-quite-compliant defaults package (
https://code.launchpad.net/~skellat/+junk/elp-trusty) I don't see anywhere
to customize a disc to do that.  This is something that may end up pushing
out further this stalled blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/development-1411-iso-l10n-uefi

Now, as to the last part, no production phones with Ubuntu Touch are
commercially available ***YET***.  Considering that the majority of access
points to the Internet on the African continent are cell phones rather than
desktops or servers, this is an area of opportunity for the South Africa
community team.  LoCo Council deals with 179 communities across this planet
we share.  While a major chunk of my community in Ohio plays with servers
and is boggling over Snappy Ubuntu, that's not necessarily part of the
horizon for all community teams.

The Community Budget will be available for doing something like this.  The
catch is you need to be an Ubuntu Member.  On your team's page I went ahead
and edited in the list by Launchpad username of persons who can make
requests on that budget.  South Africa only has four such persons.  The
last time I reviewed the budget's reports, it did appear that purchases of
demo equipment had been made prior.  Until commercially available hardware
is ready in the new year, I would suggest working on increasing the number
of Ubuntu Member persons in your community and also hashing out plans for
how to maximize the use of a demonstrator unit.

Does this help move things forward?

Stephen Michael Kellat

--
Kind Regards
Leon G. Marincowitz

*Think like a Man of Action, Act like a Man of Thought - Henry Bergson*
C - +27 83 982 63 15 | E - lmarincowitz at gmail.com | Twitter
<http://@LGMarincowitz> | Linkedin
<http://za.linkedin.com/pub/leon-marincowitz/47/865/514/> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/leon.marincowitz> | Google