[ubuntu-za] Blown Disk

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:18:25 UTC 2015

Hi All,

It seems that the sudden power failures caused by load shedding has somehow
caused some disk damage. When I tried to boot this morning, I got a grub
message that it was trying to read / write beyond hda limits. I booted from
the original  DVD, but when I try to look at the root drive where the OS is
located I get "Unable to access 20 GB volume" and lots of error messages
including "mount:wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1.

So it does not look good.

Fortunately all my files are on another Home drive and I can access them -
I also have full backup (although Murphy told me not to backup last week so
I am missing some stuff ...)

My first thought is to simply re-instal on the root drive while keeping my
Home directory alone. But I thought that before I did that I would ask if
there is perhaps something else I can try - and also ask whether my
diagnosis is correct?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

(I am not sure that I have used the right terminology here - I hope that I
have been clear enough that you can still understand).

Bill