[ubuntu-za] NEWS: Linux job market booms even as the server market disappears - TechRepublic

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed Apr 1 16:06:26 UTC 2015

On 04/01/2015 09:17 AM, Hilton Gibson wrote:
> According to a new Dice report, the Linux job market remains sizzling
> hot. Nearly every single hiring manager surveyed (97%) expects to hire
> more Linux talent relative to other skills areas in the next six months.
>
> In fact, Linux jobs growth outpaces Linux server growth.
>
> While IDC pegs Linux server market share at 28.5% in early 2014, a climb
> of 4.5% over the previous year, market share doesn't tell the whole
> story behind Linux jobs growth. To understand the continued rise in
> demand for Linux professionals, it's important to look beyond
> revenue-based market share.
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/linux-job-market-booms-even-as-the-server-market-disappears/?tag=nl.e101&s_cid=e101&ttag=e101&ftag=TRE684d531

Interesting, but the article just glosses over several big
trans-formative trends, and it is not clear where it is talking about.
Globally?  Regionally? Locally?  And what Local?

Some of the things I have seen is a lot of Winds servers replaced with
Linux.  I have replaced Server 2003 with Linux as much as with Windows,
and IDC does not count this as the server was already sold.

As stated, cloud is a total unknown, but I am also selling more whitebox
servers every year, and whitebox has outpaced branded for a few years
now.  And IDC does not kow how to track a whitebox motherboard ordered
without an OS.

Another things changing is Paid Linux is shrinking a bit, and Free Linux
is growing rapidly.  I make a good business case for Ubuntu over Red Hat
in that you HAVE to buy service to use Red Hat, and with Ubuntu you can
just buy support if you really need it.

But the big one they are missing is Region.  The California region has
much more demand for Linux then many other places.  And they do not talk
about "what Linux."  Hostgator is constantly recruiting on billboards
throughout the United States and Brazil, when they only have a few
locations...  Because they pay way under market, and have a very high
churn rate.  So they aggressively recruit in places with low demand and
move people.  (Including a few international... So...)

			Lee