[ubuntu-za] Linux at Monash

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Jan 21 07:19:53 UTC 2014

Hi Guys

I want to share some good news with you and also ask for some help...

My company (basically my friend and I) went to see Monash University
here in Roodepoort.  We wanted to open a little Linux shop on campus to
promote Ubuntu on campus and establish a Linux Community there. The plan
includes:
- providing pre-installed Linux laptop, or reviving older hardware
- having a location where students can get support on a daily basis
- running a server giving them fast access to updates, repositories and
CD downloads
- presenting weekly presentations on Ubuntu/FOSS topics and software

Well, we haven't received everything we asked for yet, but they will
allow us to promote our product at Registration day on Saturday 1
February.  We have a lot of work to do before then, but we'll also need
some help.  Although we hope to sell some laptops, the main goal here is
promoting Linux amongst students.  We were hoping to get some support
from the guys from the Ubuntu community and use it to establish a Linux
community on site.

Anything you can do to help will be appreciated:
a. some volunteers to help promote Ubuntu and tell the students about it
would be great
b. Ubuntu banners, flags, etc. we can borrow to mark our territory and
draw attention
c. T-shirts, stickers we can offer students
d. CDs and artwork.  I don't have the facilities to make a lot of CD or
print labels.
If you have stock of these items (e.g. T-shirts, CDs) and it cost you
something, you are welcome to sell it on the stand to cover your costs.

Finally, the guys that already run a Linux Community on a Campus, we'd
love to hear from you.  Some advice on how to establish and maintain
such a community would be appreciated.

Regards
Charl