[ubuntu-za] Laptop Overheating - HP Envy M6

Percy Langa percylanga at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 10:35:39 UTC 2014

On 2014/01/17 10:02 AM, Dominic Parker wrote:
> Good day All,
Howzat Dominic

> Hope you are well.
>
> Could someone please assist me with the following:
>
> I have recently converted from Mac to Ubuntu [snip]
Interesting move. Did you have the Intel-chip Mac? If yes, you can
install Ubuntu on it. Just a thought.

> and I am enjoying it as well as the community, unfortunately I have
> experienced an issue I have been unable to resolve. I installed 13.10
> on a newly purchased laptop, HP Envy M6, wiping of its factory Windows
> installation. I experienced low battery life and overheating which I
> researched and found that installing and running TLP would be a
> possible solution. After the installation, startup of TLP and
> rebooting the laptop I was unable to see any change. Further research
> showed it could be an issue with 13.10 and a older version could
> resolve the issue. So I installed Elementary OS and still experienced
> the problem. After installing TLP again and rebooting the machine the
> laptop was unable to boot into the OS. Now the laptop doesn't have
> anything on it that I need, I was able to copy off my data running the
> OS off a USB and using the CLI to login.
>
> What I would like to know is if there is a solution for the over
> heating issue as it is I really don't wanna burn it out.
I did a quick google search and noticed few issues with Ubuntu on Envy
M6 (wifi, video, bios, power management). I would recommend Ubuntu LTS
or one of the Ubuntu flavours (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.), unless
you prefer Unity.

Good luck.

Cheers!
Percy