[ubuntu-za] Laptop Overheating - HP Envy M6

Frans de waal meesterarend at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 10:25:31 UTC 2014

Frans de Waal
cell: 076 639 8315
skype: meesterarend1

Wie plant en wie natgooi is nie belangrik nie. Die belangrike Een is God,
want dit is Hý wat laat groei.
1 Korintiërs 3:7
On Jan 17, 2014 10:03 AM, "Dominic Parker" <dominic.prkr at icloud.com> wrote:

> Good day All,
>
> Hope you are well.
>
> Could someone please assist me with the following:
>
> I have recently converted from Mac to Ubuntu and I am enjoying it as well
as the community, unfortunately I have experienced an issue I have been
unable to resolve. I installed 13.10 on a newly purchased laptop, HP Envy
M6, wiping of its factory Windows installation. I experienced low battery
life and overheating which I researched and found that installing and
running TLP would be a possible solution. After the installation, startup
of TLP and rebooting the laptop I was unable to see any change. Further
research showed it could be an issue with 13.10 and a older version could
resolve the issue. So I installed Elementary OS and still experienced the
problem. After installing TLP again and rebooting the machine the laptop
was unable to boot into the OS. Now the laptop doesn't have anything on it
that I need, I was able to copy off my data running the OS off a USB and
using the CLI to login.

> What I would like to know is if there is a solution for the over heating
issue as it is I really don't wanna burn it out.

> Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

You could use it one a laptop stand with fans... check the bios setting,
drill some holes(with great care) in the casing to help cool it