[ubuntu-za] Laptop Overheating - HP Envy M6

Dominic Parker dominic.prkr at icloud.com
Fri Jan 17 08:02:54 UTC 2014

Good day All,

Hope you are well.

Could someone please assist me with the following:

I have recently converted from Mac to Ubuntu and I am enjoying it as well as the community, unfortunately I have experienced an issue I have been unable to resolve. I installed 13.10 on a newly purchased laptop, HP Envy M6, wiping of its factory Windows installation. I experienced low battery life and overheating which I researched and found that installing and running TLP would be a possible solution. After the installation, startup of TLP and rebooting the laptop I was unable to see any change. Further research showed it could be an issue with 13.10 and a older version could resolve the issue. So I installed Elementary OS and still experienced the problem. After installing TLP again and rebooting the machine the laptop was unable to boot into the OS. Now the laptop doesn't have anything on it that I need, I was able to copy off my data running the OS off a USB and using the CLI to login.

What I would like to know is if there is a solution for the over heating issue as it is I really don't wanna burn it out.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dominic Parker
Email: dominic.prkr at me.com
Cell: 083 241 0173