[ubuntu-za] Search for attachments

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Thu Dec 11 06:04:14 UTC 2014

On 12/10/2014 11:20 PM, Jan Greeff wrote:
> My question to Lee: If you are at the advanced level of users that you
> obviously are, is there not room for you at the top, meaning to
> contribute or assist with development?

At it's heart, Unity is a single task environment. This is an
intentional design feature.  You can tell by how it likes to maximize by
default.  The menu bar at the top of the screen, not the window.  The
icon stacking.  The problem is that I am not a single task worker.  It
directly conflicts with how I, and many other high information workers
(coders, accountants, writers...) actually do work.  There is not fix.
You can not "fix" a screwdriver to better drive a nail.  You have to go
back to the hammer.

I know and understand Unity.  Others love Unity, and for some I
recommend it.  But if you need a hammer, you just need a hammer.

			Lee