[ubuntu-za] trying to create a working git repository in my Ubuntu Linux

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Thu Apr 3 16:42:58 UTC 2014

On 03/04/2014 17:19, nico.michael at arduino.org.za wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I have used the following steps to create a repository
> add a dummy text file so i can send it to my Git server
>
> cd /home/nico/git
> mkdir MY_JAVA_PROJECT
> cd MY_JAVA_PROJECT/
> git init
> touch deleteme.txt
> git add .
> Got error added this to fix it :
> git config --global user.name "nickm"
> git config --global user.email "nico.michael at arduino.org.za"
>
> git commit -m "initial commit"
>

> local/path/to/local/project> git checkout mybranch
> got Error : error: pathspec 'mybranch' did not match any file(s) known
> to git.
>
> Please advise
>
> regards
> Nico

Hi Nico,

git checkout mybranch checks out a local branch if it exists. In this
case mybranch doesn't.

If you need to push to a server you need to add a remote:

git remote add origin <gituser>@<gitserver>:<path/to/repo> i.e.
git at git.myserver.co.za:project.git

Once that is done you can then push your untracked branch, master as
this is where all commits go if it is a new repository, to the server with:

git push origin -u master

This is optional and is default for user.name you should actually set it
like:

git config --global user.name "Nico Michael"

So when you do git log it will come up with

commit 4a02eca82dfbfb2008ea59c128bd6cb66555aa88
Author: Nice Michael <nico.michael at arduino.org.za>
Date:   Thu Apr 3 18:30:16 2014 +0200

     Summary of changes

     * Change 1