[ubuntu-za] Is it safe to install Nvidia drivers from ubuntu's additional drivers for DELL XPS with Nvidia geforce 540 m 2 GB ?

Graeme Donaldson graeme at donaldson.za.net
Sun Sep 29 09:14:04 UTC 2013

Hi

It sounds to me as if your real question is "do I still need bumblebee, or
is the latest nvidia driver supporting Optimus technology?"

The answer to that is that you still need bumblebee because the official
driver still doesn't provide for powering off the discrete nvidia card. I
don't have my Optimus notebook anymore but bumblebee was the difference
between around 5 hours of battery life with bumblebee powering off the card
vs just over an hour on battery without bumblebee.

Graeme.