[ubuntu-za] Sudden Firefox problems

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Mon Sep 16 09:38:48 UTC 2013

On 16/09/2013 11:25, Frans de waal wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2013 11:20 AM, "Wikus" <wikus at cheetah-microsystems.com
> <mailto:wikus at cheetah-microsystems.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Have anybody else noticed sudden firefox problems ?
> >
> > All of a sudden I have many sites that don't work , especially
> drop-down boxes and forms that must be filled in.
> > This is on 3 different pc's and installs on both 12.04 and 13.04 so
> can't be related to just 1 pc.
> > I know it's firefox related as chromium works on every site that
> don't work with firefox.
> > Anybody know of an update recently that broke something in firefox ?
> > Any suggestions where to start looking ?
> > Firefox version 23.0 on all affected pc's.
> >
> > It's things like empty drop down boxes that don't contain data ,
> buttons that don't work , filling in forms that don't work etc.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > - Wikus
> >
> > --
> >      _
> >     | |
> >     | |
> >  ---   ---
> > |J E S U S|
> >  ---   ---
> >     | |
> >     | |
> >     | |
> >     | |   My King
> >     ---
> >

> > --
>
> Wikus yes I've noticed that too, got worse over the last year, I
> installed chrome and Opera, Opera sometime on a very slow network have
> the same problems.

I've noticed similar issues over the past while. I've also experienced
problems with Firefox Sync messing up bookmarks really badly. I also,
quite often get script error problems in Firefox.

I wonder if the website issues have to do with flash/HTML5
compatibility/implementation issues. I've noticed that some flash
content on some pages no longer works in Firefox.

Whatever the cause, I'm unfortunately getting very close to the point of
ditching Firefox and switching over to Chrome as my primary browser,
even though it too has some things that I wish worked a bit differently.