[ubuntu-za] Postfix explained

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 12 09:02:04 UTC 2013

Hi Charl (2013.09.19_21:39:31_+0200)

Excuse a delayed reply. I haven't been on top of my e-mail recently.

> Every now and then I have an application that requires Postfix to be
> installed.  I assume this is because it wants to send email
> notifications.  I always get stuck at the point where you need to
> choose:
> 1. None

No template, you write your postfix configuration yourself.

> 2. Internet Site

You're an mail server on the internet, that will accept e-mail for your
users, and send email to other mail servers.

> 3. Internet with Smarthost

You'll accept e-mail for your users, but outgoing e-mail must be routed
through a smarthost (another mail server that you have access too).

> 4. Satellite system

A machine that doesn't participate in the public e-mail network. It uses
a smarthost for outgoing email, and won't listen for incoming e-mail on
any external network interfaces.

> 5. Local only

You can send e-mail between local users. That's it.

> Try as I may, I have never found a simple site/document that
> explains the basic differences between these items and when to use
> each of them.  The site I found simply tell you how to setup a
> specific option for a specific application without really explaining
> why.  So I just drop it and always select "none", just to get it out
> of the way.

The terms used are fairly standard. If you have experience running
mail servers, they should be straightforward enough.

Sounds like you should write this document :)

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/