[ubuntu-za] Fwd: Shameful day in South African education history.

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Tue Oct 8 23:57:35 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 01:33, Tim wrote:
> This needs to be fought. Open up your books under the consumer
> protection act, Microsoft. Who did you bribe? Who got the freebies?
> The home systems and the "free" software? Any Surface tablets won in
> lucky draws? Family junkets to Redmond and Disneyworld?
> The Delphi issue is beyond comment.
>

> Sent from Samsung Note 2

This sucks! My daughter starts CAT next year. She is already fairly
proficient in LIbre Office, but now she will need to do everything in MS
Office - which I'll have to purchase no doubt, along with the Windows to
run it. What of the families that can't afford the extra R3000-R5000 for
Windows and Office - on top of the cost of a PC/notebook?

I will definitely be going to speak to the headmaster and CAT teachers
at my daughter's high school in order to register my disapproval, and to
ensure that they know of the FOSS options. I will also offer my services
in setting up and assisting with teaching FOSS options if they are
willing to make a stand. I'd like to suggest that we all follow similar
courses of action to the extent that we are able. i.e. talking to our
children's schools - and/or any local schools.