[ubuntu-za] Unmet libzip1 dependency when installing Kobo reader

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Tue Mar 12 09:52:54 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Hope that someone out there has an answer to this problem.

I've recently started using Kobo reader on my Android phone. Wanting to
be able to access my books on my notebook, to assist study, I
discovered, and downloaded an Ubuntu version of the Kobo reader
(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb). However, on
attempting to install the reader, I got a missing dependency message for
libzip1.

Through fairly extensive Googling, I've discovered that libzip1 no
longer exists in 12.04 (32 bit), which I'm running, having been replaced
by libzip2. Unfortunately this does not help me to install the reader.

Is there a way to install libzip1? Is there a way to modify the
dependency to use libzip2? Is there some other solution that I've not
even thought of?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Robin