[ubuntu-za] Moodle Help at University of Zululand

Søren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 15:54:12 UTC 2013

I would look at

http://bitnami.org/stack/moodle

as a range of options.  *and*, would suggest deploying the moodle instances
under VMs so that if you hit scalability issues, it's easier to relocate
the VMs
onto new hardware  -- e.g., 1 VM per moodle instances, and possibly
splitting
the DB out from the moodle instance.

And though it's too late for this -- my real suggestion would be AWS/EC2,
where, when you need a bigger box, you just stop the current instance and
restart it on a bigger instance slot type.  (And a number of other
advantages
our of the AWS scalability playbook).  Bitnami has AMIs for moodle.  Saves
a lot of time and service provider schlepp.

Something else worth checking out is

http://www.slideshare.net/nixnutz/the-mysqlnd-replication-and-load-balancing-plugin

...as when load/scale increases, Moodle will need to split the DB out,
and maybe in a master/slave-readonly config.  (and multiple app servers
fronting with a load balancer...).  I don't see a shrinkwrapped version of
moodle
with separate DB, but it's not too hard.

Again, AWS will give you mix-and-match parts that you can use when you
need them, and give back the stuff you aren't using anymore.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com>wrote:

> "Hi
>
> I have a cisco UCS Server that I would like configured with Ubuntu server and PHP /MySQL so that I can run 4 instance of Moodle 2.2. I also need the databases from 4 instances of Moodle 1.9 to imported into the upgraded version.
>
> Does anyone know of a service provider / individual who could assist / provide quote?
>
> Kind regards
> Neil"
>
> Contact: evansn at unizulu.ac.za
>
> From: http://lists.lib.sun.ac.za/pipermail/duraspace/2013-March/000320.html
>
> Regards
>
> --
> *Hilton Gibson*
> Systems Administrator
> JS Gericke Library
> Room 1025D
> Stellenbosch University
> Private Bag X5036
> Stellenbosch
> 7599
> South Africa
>
> Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
> http://library.sun.ac.za
> http://scholar.sun.ac.za
> http://ar1.sun.ac.za
> http://aj1.sun.ac.za