[ubuntu-za] OwnCloud

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Jun 4 17:26:47 UTC 2013

Hi Guys

I wanted to share something with the community.  A year or so ago I
wanted a good way to sync my contacts on my phone, laptop, etc.  The
standard answer has always been... Gmail!  This really bugged me,
because I didn't like the fact that my info was in the hands of a third
party.  I have the same issue with things like Dropbox, UbuntuOne, etc.

Well, I found a good alternative!!  How about your own Cloud service on
your own server under your control!  You can put it on your network or
on your own cloud server (if you really have to) :-)

www.owncloud.org

You can sync your:
a. files (like Dropbox & UbuntuOne),
b. your calendars (like Gmail),
c. your contacts (like Gmail),
d. your music (like UbuntuOne)
e. your photos (like UbuntuOne and Dropbox)

You can do this from Linux, Windows, Andoid, etc.  You can set it up for
multiple users from on one server so you can even share stuff with each
other.  Ideal for a business!

Best of all its Free Open Source Software!!!

I'm busy setting up my cloud and breaking my ties with with all the
third parties wanting store my stuff for me.

Regards
Charl