[ubuntu-za] HP Laserjet M1005 multifunction printer/scanner

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Tue Jul 30 16:54:43 UTC 2013

On 30/07/2013 18:01, Chris Schoonbee wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Does anyone else have a USB HP Laserjet M1005 printer/scanner?
> If so, are you able to scan using simple-scan with it?
>
> It is my father's computer and printer.  The printer functionality
> works without any problems but I cannot get the scanner to work.
> hp-probe detects the device but simple-scan just hangs when I try to
> scan.  It does not complain about connecting to the device etc, just
> has those rotating circles.
>
> I have tried without success using Ubuntu 13.04 on his desktop and
> 12.10 on his laptop.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Chris

Hi,

I've had this problem before with another HP MFP. If I remember
correctly, the only way I got it to work was by installing the package
hplip-gui. You can just try and install the package libsane-hpaio and
try to see if simple-scan then recognizes the device. If it doesn't, try
installing the hplip-gui package, setup the printer again using the
hplip driver and try simple-scan again.

--
All the best,

Bruce