[ubuntu-za] Wine woes (again)

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Mon Jul 29 09:31:19 UTC 2013

On 28/07/2013 23:06, Hilton Gibson wrote:
> Try: *addgroup username vboxusers *in a terminal
>

> On 28 July 2013 23:00, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net
> <mailto:jan at verslank.net>> wrote:
>
>     I have now upgraded to Vbox 4.2.16 but apparently I need to add my
>     user to the vbox usersgroup, however, I have been unable to find
>     out how this must be done. That manual is way above the old man's
>     head. Is there somebody out there who can gently point me in the
>     right direction?
>     On 12/07/2013 06:58, Wayne Abroue wrote:
>>     Virtualbox handles USB fine, plug in and enable the device from
>>     the usb icon. The VM will scream for the drivers.
>>

>>     On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Frans de waal
>>     <meesterarend at gmail.com <mailto:meesterarend at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         On Jul 11, 2013 10:04 PM, "Wesley Werner"
>>         <wesley.werner at gmail.com <mailto:wesley.werner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>         >
>>         > I can't vouch for Virtualbox, but it seems like QEMU / KVM
>>         has usb passthrough [1]. I have not used this feature of KVM
>>         before so cannot give you specifics.
>>         >
>>         > I feel your pain on this, and feel you are delving into a
>>         world that would involve voodoo. Good luck!
>>         >
>>         > [1]: http://qemu.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html#usb_005fdevices
>>         >
>>         > --
>>         > Wesley
>>         >

>>         I recall seeing usb options on virtual box... not curently
>>         close to my pc to check though
>>
>>         > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Jan Greeff
>>         <jan at verslank.net <mailto:jan at verslank.net>> wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >> This seems over my head, will it be easier to get my USB
>>         ports to work on my Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.1.2?
>>         >>
>>         >> Jan
>>         >>
>>         >>
>>         >>
>>         >> On 11/07/2013 15:10, Bruce Pieterse wrote:
>>         >>>
>>         >>> On 11/07/2013 14:24, Wesley Werner wrote:
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> Hi Jan. I tried to backtrack what app you are meaning,
>>         can you please reiterate what app, and if there is a chance
>>         of an alternative native app?
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> Not sure about WINE's hardware interaction (usb).
>>         >>>
>>         >>> Hi,
>>         >>>
>>         >>> As far as USB support goes for WINE, it doesn't work. I
>>         set up iTunes a while back (11.10/12.04) and tried to get my
>>         iPod working with it. Unfortunately, after doing all that
>>         then looking for any articles relating to WINE USB support
>>         the answer was no and the alternative solution was to setup a
>>         virtual machine with USB passthrough.
>>         >>>
>>         >>> BUT, looking for an answer today I found this:
>>         http://wiki.winehq.org/USB
> [...]
Hi,

I posted this on the 12th of July:

You will also need to add yourself to the vboxusers group in order for
Virtualbox to provide USB support. You can do this with "sudo usermod -a
-G vboxusers username". Once done, you can logout of your desktop
session (not 100% sure if this works), or do a soft reboot.

--
All the best,

Bruce

FSF Member 10674 / The FSF is a charity with a worldwide mission to advance software freedom / Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=10674