[ubuntu-za] Wine woes (again)

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Fri Jul 12 11:51:25 UTC 2013

On 12/07/2013 09:36, Wayne Abroue wrote:
> Yep, extension pack a must to enable USB.
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net
> <mailto:jan at verslank.net>> wrote:
>
>     Many thanks for all the help and suggestions. We will be away for
>     a few days and I will follow up and let you know the result next
>     week.
>
>     Kind regards,
>
>     Jan
>
>     On 12/07/2013 08:40, Graeme Donaldson wrote:
>>     You'll have to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack from
>>     https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to enable USB support.
>>     I *think* it makes a lot of noise about this when you attempt to
>>     enable USB on a guest for the first time, but in case it
>>     doesn't.... now you know! :-)
>>

>>     On 12 July 2013 06:58, Wayne Abroue <plettpc at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:plettpc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Virtualbox handles USB fine, plug in and enable the device
>>         from the usb icon. The VM will scream for the drivers.
>>

>>         On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Frans de waal
>>         <meesterarend at gmail.com <mailto:meesterarend at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>             On Jul 11, 2013 10:04 PM, "Wesley Werner"
>>             <wesley.werner at gmail.com
>>             <mailto:wesley.werner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>             >
>>             > I can't vouch for Virtualbox, but it seems like QEMU /
>>             KVM has usb passthrough [1]. I have not used this feature
>>             of KVM before so cannot give you specifics.
>>             >
>>             > I feel your pain on this, and feel you are delving into
>>             a world that would involve voodoo. Good luck!
>>             >
>>             > [1]: http://qemu.weilnetz.de/qemu-doc.html#usb_005fdevices
>>             >
>>             > --
>>             > Wesley
>>             >

>>             I recall seeing usb options on virtual box... not
>>             curently close to my pc to check though
>>
>>             > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Jan Greeff
>>             <jan at verslank.net <mailto:jan at verslank.net>> wrote:
>>             >>
>>             >> This seems over my head, will it be easier to get my
>>             USB ports to work on my Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.1.2?
>>             >>
>>             >> Jan
>>             >>
>>             >>
>>             >>
>>             >> On 11/07/2013 15:10, Bruce Pieterse wrote:
>>             >>>
>>             >>> On 11/07/2013 14:24, Wesley Werner wrote:
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> Hi Jan. I tried to backtrack what app you are
>>             meaning, can you please reiterate what app, and if there
>>             is a chance of an alternative native app?
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> Not sure about WINE's hardware interaction (usb).
>>             >>>
>>             >>> Hi,
>>             >>>
>>             >>> As far as USB support goes for WINE, it doesn't work.
>>             I set up iTunes a while back (11.10/12.04) and tried to
> [...]
You will also need to add yourself to the vboxusers group in order for
Virtualbox to provide USB support. You can do this with "sudo usermod -a
-G vboxusers username". Once done, you can logout of your desktop
session (not 100% sure if this works), or do a soft reboot.

--
All the best,

Bruce

FSF Member 10674 / The FSF is a charity with a worldwide mission to advance software freedom / Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=10674