[ubuntu-za] Howto use vodacom vodafone mobile modem K4305

Frans de waal meesterarend at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:42:43 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013 3:54 PM, "Johan Scheepers" <johansche at telkomsa.net> wrote:

> On 30/06/2013 21:46, Frans de waal wrote:
>>

>> On Jun 30, 2013 8:33 PM, "Johan Scheepers" <johansche at telkomsa.net>
wrote:

>> > Good day,
>> >
>> > OS = ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>> >
>> > Have a vodacom vodafone mobile modem K4305
>> >
>> > Funny, when used for the first time it connected immediately like a
wired network out of the box.
>> > This happened for two weeks.
>> > After a system update it refused - not even recognized by the system -
like offline.

>> > Tested on a Win 7 OS it worked fine after install of software.
>> >
>> > I would like some pointers from members who is using/used this modem
successfully on ubuntu.

>> > I am using a DSL landline when at home this is for travelling.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Johan S
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> You could test the kernel first ( hold left shift while booting )
>> Then choose an earlier version of the kernel...
>>
>> Sometimes there are some parts of the kernel that fail to download and
install, I spend most of a day fixing this with another modem.

> Good day Frans,
> Kindly see my post in another letter.
>
> The kernel stuff did work.
> Can this be fixed in the later kernels? How?
> Thanks
> Johan S

Glad to hear somthing worked... you could start checking the supportive
installs with the kernel... last I had a similar problem some essential
package did not install with the update. It might also be that judt the
next kernel wil work for you again.