[ubuntu-za] A new Laptop for Ubuntu without Windows...

Mark Widdicombe markwiddicombe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 09:21:08 UTC 2013

On 26 January 2013 10:06, Casper Labuschagne
<casper.labuschagne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 05:17:31PM +0200, Wesley Werner wrote:
>> Have you asked any resellers if they are willing to sell you one
>> without Windows?
>
> Yes.
>
>  Would be interesting to see which shops are willing :)
>
> Nobody so far.  These are those that wont:
>
> Incredible Connection
> Sybaritic
> Game
> Universe Direct
> PC Laptops (Durbanville)
> Oddworld and a few other mom & pop computer stores
>
> I could of course just pay for Windows and delete it.  But why should
> I be ripped off?  Why should I be forced to pay for something I don't
> want, won't use and don't need?

I did ask Incredible Connection once what discount they would offer on
a laptop without Windows.  They said they would be happy to remove
Windows, but wouldn't give a discount.  I bought a low-end Proline
that came preinstalled with Fedora.  Perhaps they still have Linux
offerings.

There is, however, an advantage to buying a Windows laptop, and that
is it adds to the resale value when you want to get rid of it at a
later date.  Just leave Windows its own small partition, install
distro of your choice on the rest, and don't use the Windows OS.  when
you want to sell the laptop down the line, at least it will have an OS
that most buyers will want.

Regards,
Mark