[ubuntu-za] Adding the Mate Desktop to your Ubuntu improves performance try it out for your self and let us know

Nico Michael nick.michael at ptaisp.co.za
Thu Jan 24 11:25:20 UTC 2013

Hi there

After adding the Mate Desktop to his Ubuntu my colleague found a
dramatic improvement in performance.
This allows him to switch between Unity and Mate and I saw the
difference in performance , it was impressive

These were the commands he used to do that in one shot.

sudo add-apt-repository "deb
http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu quantal main" && sudo
apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring && sudo
apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mate-core && sudo apt-get install
mate-desktop-environment

The earlier Ubuntu users will feel very comfortable with Mate.

Please try it out for your self and let us know what you found

Kind Regards

Nico Michael
http://www.arduino.org.za