[ubuntu-za] Help for two programmes: Geary Mail and Lightread RSS Reader

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Tue Jan 15 10:29:17 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 09:45 AM, Wesley Werner wrote:

> Hi Leon.
>
> Look in Google help for setting up third party email clients. Perhaps
> they require an unusual port assignment with ssl.

Hi Leon,

In light of Wesley's suggestion, here are the settings for Google Mail.

pop.googlemail.com - SSL/TLS(security) - 995(port)
smtp.googlemail.com - SSL/TLS(security) - 465(port)

I have set up my Gmail defaults (on the website) to activate POP. This
enables mails to be deleted from the mail server by my notebook, which
is where I want to store any mails that I decide to keep. However, it
also means that I can view mails on my mobile, or elsewhere when not
using my notebook, without them being deleted from the mail server.

Works brilliantly. Must admit that I don't use Geary (largely because it
doesn't support POP), but you should be able to get this to work
similarly (although some security settings may vary) for IMAP.

Hope this is helpful.

Robin