[ubuntu-za] LibreOffice 4 on the Launcher

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Thu Feb 14 09:41:08 UTC 2013

On 02/14/2013 10:50 AM, Hilton Gibson wrote:
> Make sure you purge the old libreoffice, a simple uninstall will still
> leave certain files lying around.
> I suggest the following to purge libreoffice.
>
> # sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
>
> Cheers
>
> hg
>

> On 14 February 2013 10:38, Robin Bownes <robin at bownes.co.za
> <mailto:robin at bownes.co.za>> wrote:
>

>     On 02/14/2013 07:36 AM, Wesley Werner wrote:
>>     Hi Robin, when you click the reappearing v.3.4 icon, does it
>>     launch the new v.4 Libre office? Or does it fail silently?
>>
>>     Could Unity be caching the icons, and that it still has a copy of
>>     the old icon in store? Perhaps try find how to clear that cache.
>>
>>     You have probably turned it off and on again, since then?
>>
>>     --
>>     Wesley
>>

>>     On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Robin Bownes
>>     <robin at bownes.co.za <mailto:robin at bownes.co.za>> wrote:
>>
>>         To cut a long story short, this problem is recurring. The v.4
>>         icon disappears from the launcher, and is somehow replaced
>>         with the icon for the now non-existent v.3.4.
>>
>>         I assume that there's a setting file somewhere that has not
>>         updated, and is causing the problem. Unfortunately, I don't
>>         have a clue as to which one it might be. Any suggestions please?
>>
>     Hi Wesley,
>
>     The v.3.4 icon does absolutely nothing, it still obviously points
>     to v.3.4, not v.4. I have restarted the PC more than once. Yep,
>     that's the cache/file that I'm trying to track down. At present,
>     the v.3.4 icon is locked to the launcher, but reports that its not
>     locked to the launcher - but cannot be removed, or moved.
>
>     Robin
>
>     --

> *Hilton Gibson*
> Systems Administrator
> JS Gericke Library
> Room 1025D
> Stellenbosch University
> Private Bag X5036
> Stellenbosch
> 7599
> South Africa
>
> Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
> http://library.sun.ac.za
> http://scholar.sun.ac.za
> http://ar1.sun.ac.za
> http://aj1.sun.ac.za
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Hilton, I have already run the # sudo apt-get remove --purge
libreoffice* command as part of the uninstall/reinstall process.

William, thanks, but the problem has not been getting the icon onto the
launcher, but keeping it there - even when its supposedly locked. I have
in fact both launched the application from the lens, as well as dragged
the application icon from the lens to the launcher. Neither have
resulted in persistent success.

Earlier, after scratching around on Google for quite some time, and
finding nothing that related directly, I ended up dragging the
LibreOffice4 desktop file directly from /usr/share/applications to the
launcher. That was about 2-hours ago, and so far so good - the v.4 icon
still seems to be on the launcher. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks.

Robin