[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu Server

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Mon Dec 30 07:59:46 UTC 2013

On 30/12/2013 09:13, Bill Cairns wrote:
> I have a brand new server on my home network (a good Christmas present
> that!) and have got it up and working using Ubuntu Server 12.04. Lots
> of things are working well, but I have run into a few things that I
> don't know how to handle.  I am sure that these are very basic
> questions and would appreciate a bit of patience as I struggle with
> some new concepts!
>
> My first problem is that I can can connect to the server via PuTTY on
> SSH and by using Nautilus's "Connect to Server" only by using the IP
> address. (I have made it a static address so this is not a serious
> problem). Why does using the host name not work?
This is because you need a entry in the /etc/hosts file in order to use
a name. You can add your new server from the computer you are connecting
from with gksudo gedit /etc/hosts. Under the 127.0.1.1 address add
10.0.0.5 <tab> new-server-name

Close the file and you should now be able to connect to the server via
the terminal with ssh username at new-server-name or via nautilus with
ssh://username@new-server-name

> The second problem is that Nautilus gives me a window which gives me
> access to the file system on the server. But how do I access the files
> directly? Nautilus gives the location of the server file system as:
>
> sftp://biffmcdoo@10.0.0.5/ <http://biffmcdoo@10.0.0.5/>
>
> ("biffmcdoo" being the user name on the server).
Use ssh://username@new-server-name instead when using nautilus to
connect to a server

> But I would like to use rsync to backup my files directly from my
> Ubuntu desktop. How can I address these files? It seems that the
> directory is mounted (Nautilus gives me the option of unmounting it),
> but where?
You can use the following example command to backup your stuff to your
server using rsync: rysnc -avuz -e ssh /home/<username>/
username at new-server-name:/backup/location/

When you use ssh:// when connecting to your server you should be able to
see all directories on the server and not an empty folder or mount
point. sftp:// is Secure FTP.

> Thanks,
>
>   Bill

Hope that helps! :)