[ubuntu-za] People sticking to LTS?

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:10:13 UTC 2013

> Easy: http://ubuntu.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Support
> What would you as an IT manager be willing to support.
> Remember support costs, it's not only about the software, it's also about
> 24/7 on-call service.
> Add more complexity to support and you add costs.

No I certainly get that Hilton. I'm not referring to desktop deployments
throughout organizations that are covered by some IT policy, nor as I said,
servers.
I'm talking about everyone else, mostly home users... who do not receive
support from an IT department anyway. They'd need IT support whether they
use LTS or not, but both LTS and regular-release users have to help
themselves and eachother, like we do now.

LTS obviously doesn't mean you'll never have problems, or never need
support. It just means you'll wait longer before you upgrade...