[ubuntu-za] Unity and Gimp

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Fri Aug 9 11:50:50 UTC 2013

On 09/08/2013 13:44, Bill Cairns wrote:
> OK. And thanks for the help everyone.
>
> I have checked my repositories and, sure enough, there is the
> Launchpad Gimp repository. So some time in my wild and irresponsible
> youth I must have decided that I wanted Gimp 2.8 and included that
> repository.
>
> Actually, 2.8 has some nice features that are missing from 2.6 and so,
> while I was wild and irresponsible, I must have done it for the best
> reasons.
>
> So it seems that I have a choice - either struggle on as I am or
> revert to Gimp 2.6..
>
> The only bright light on the horizon may be that perhaps Gimp 2.8.x is
> standard in Ubuntu 13.04. Can anyone help here? Or, even better, could
> someone tell me how I could find out? (Or can I assume from
> https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/raring/gimp/ that 2.8.4 /is/
> the released version?)
>
> And, just to make me feel a bit more educated, can anyone explain why
> Gimp 2.8 should run perfectly under Xubuntu 12.04 but not under Ubuntu
> with Unity 12.04?
>
> Thanks again,
>   Bill
>

> On 8 August 2013 22:51, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org
> <mailto:leesharp at hal-pc.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/08/2013 03:11 PM, Neil Oosthuizen wrote:
>
>         On 8 August 2013 21:18, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com
>         <mailto:cairnsww at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             Then I looked atthe error report that Ubuntu was about to
>             send off and found
>             that it said that i did not have a standard version of
>             Gimp. Hmm. So I did a
>             complete de-install and a re-install using Synaptic. (I
>             don't think that I
>             installed Gimp from a non-standard repository, but what I
>             did yesterday is a
>             bit hazy in my memory bank).
>

>         Ubuntu 12.04 comes with GIMP 2.6.x and not the 2.8 series (or
>         at least
>         it did last time I had a 12,04 install and I don't know how to
>         confirm
>         this on-line).
>

>     From my 12.04 with no Guimp issues...
>
>     lee at dev01:~$ gimp --version
>     GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.6.12
>     lee at dev01:~$
>

>     --

Hi Bill,

Gimp 2.8.4 is currently running on 13.04:

tanagra ~ » lsb_release -a && gimp --version
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    13.04
Codename:    raring
GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.8.4

I see no reason why it's not working on Ubuntu but in Xubuntu, but have
you tried removing the configuration settings for GIMP in your home
folder? You can simply delete the directory called gimp-<version_number>
and relaunch and see if it works.

Failing that, perhaps a bug report needs to be submitted to get your
issue fixed.

--
All the best,

Bruce