[ubuntu-za] What went wrong?

Jan Greeff jan at verslank.net
Sun Aug 4 10:43:08 UTC 2013

Hi all, this old man is slowly getting into the swing of the world of
Ubuntu: all too slowly.

Yesterday I (once more) tried to purge my vbox to reload and start over,
but I entered /*sudo apt-get purge virtualbox 4.2 */and was left with a
crippled machine. Fortunately I was able to install a new Ubuntu in
parallel and can now access all the documents that I thought I had lost
via my home folder on a partition, but what went wrong? (I do have a
backup but it does not include my doings over the last 10 days or so)

Meanwhile I have been slowly coming to the conclusion that vbox, wine
and all those tricks are just bad news - all of them bite you sooner or
later, so now I am going to revert to Win xp on my wife's machine where
I will do all the stuff that do not work on Ubuntu.

Best wishes,

Jan