[ubuntu-za] New Computer

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Fri Sep 28 06:34:14 UTC 2012

On 09/28/2012 12:41 AM, Bill Cairns wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM, frans <dormakorp at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
>
>> My first question usually are what will the system be used for?

> Lee's machine sounds wonderful, but I think that I could get rid of
> all the other machines in the house too if I had one like that!

I have to say, I agree with Frans' first assessment.  And I am somewhat
embarrassed about my specs...  I did not mean to start a competition. :)
  I actually was reluctant about spending that kind of money on a
system, right until I did it.  (My opinion sure changed then)

That said, what is good now will not be good enough far sooner than you
think.  My old system has 4 gig of ram.  It is maxed out.  It is now the
backup and test system.  It has some extra drive space, and does
moderate services.  (file, print, web)  It is still a good computer, but
it now longer does the thing I do without some significant effort.

The new system does some VM stuff.  I have an ubuntu server vm up full
time for various tasks, and windows XP, Vista, and 7 that I spin up when
needed for client testing and support.  Also, a FeeBSD, and CentOS for
when needed, and a few others.  But mostly I just use the memory for
lots of web tabs.  I think I have about 50 open right now.  It is
amazing how much of a difference the extra memory makes when you do not
have to shout down firefox to open a big image in gimp, or Pitivi, or
whatever.  To summarize, I can not recommend enough, more memory.

As to Bill' system...  You will notice a difference between 8 and 16 gig
of memory.  Seriously.  Do you need 24?  Probably not.  But right now I
have only one very small (512 meg of ram) VM running...

lee at tc-us-dev01:~$ free -mo
Mem:        24160      15395       8764          0        382       9763
Swap:       70780          0      70780

Either way, the Gigabyte board is a good choice.

			Lee