[ubuntu-za] Unity Layout

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Fri Sep 21 10:05:41 UTC 2012

On 21/09/2012 11:18, Quintin van Rooyen wrote:

>     However, the things I do like is:
>      - all the buttons you need access to is situated either at the
>     top or to the right close to the dash button, and
>      - the immediate availability of the applications menu when you
>     press the dash button.
>
> I dislike those extra buttons, but different strokes. It would be nice
> to have them enableable/disableable that you can choose if you want
> them or not.
Absolutely, not everyone will like it!  A choice is always good.

>     Now I can access the applications menu in the same amount of
>     clicks without moving my mouse all over the screen.  It just means
>     you can get the benefit of unity without losing (or complicating)
>     the things you are used to doing.
>
> I am not sure what you mean with this, but then again I am a keyboard
> pilot, and use the mouse as little as possible.
That explains it then! :-)  I use my keyboard in a terminal, but in the
GUI I use my mouse.  What annoys me is hitting small targets in short
succession that are situated across the screen.

Consider what it takes to open an application you don't often use (and
can't remember the name of):

With Unity:
- click on dash icon --> top left
- click on applications lense --> bottom middle
- click on "filter results" --> top right
- click on application category --> center
- click on "see more results" --> left
- scroll through list (with huge icons and hard to read text in between)
- click on application --> somewhere in the middle
(seven actions all over the screen)

Before you did this:
- click on "Applications" menu --> top left
- click on applications category --> slightly down
- click on application --> slightly down/right
(three actions close together)

I'm sure I'm not the only one "bugged" by this... excuse the pun.

Charl