[ubuntu-za] How to change critical level of battery in Ubuntu 12.04 ? & Is it safe to edit conf files of /etc/laptop-mode/ ?

Frans de waal meesterarend at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:17:19 UTC 2012

On 10 September 2012 11:14, Robin Bownes <robin at bownes.co.za> wrote:
> Before anyone informs me, I am aware that this could be seen as misuse of a
> thread, but I'm actually just responding to a previous message in the
> thread.
>
> Wesley, Navdeep may not have the same level, or content of knowledge that
> you have concerning netiquette, but I'm sorry to say that the way that you
> spoke to him is just plain rude, and is therefore, in my opinion, much
> worse.
>
> This is meant to be a list where people can get assistance from
> fellow-Ubuntu users, but I must say that my personal experience, which I've
> mentioned before, has too often left me on the end of nastiness, rudeness
> and blatant arrogance. It is my suggestion that those who do not want to be
> of assistance to others, remove themselves from this list, thereby improving
> their own lives and ours.
>
> Much is written on this list, and in many other places about how to increase
> the public usage and acceptance of Ubuntu. My strongest suggestion, as it
> has been before, is to help other users at the level at which they require
> help, rather than beating them up over relatively inconsequential netiquette
> issues, or telling them that they'll only be helped once they've found the
> answer themselves on Google, or any of the other similarly rude and
> unhelpful responses that I've experienced and seen on this list.
>
> After approximately 5-years of using Ubuntu as my operating system of choice
> (on all computers in my home & office), I must unfortunately say, in spite
> of Ubuntu's "community" claims, that I continue to use Ubuntu in spite of,
> not because of responses I have received from this list and others within
> the Ubuntu community. Three of my clients (that I know of) that I converted
> to Ubuntu, and to whom I recommended this list for support, have actually
> reverted to Microsoft, not because they didn't like the software, but
> because they were treated so rudely by members of this list.
>
> I hope that those in control of this list will take this problem seriously,
> although they never seem to have done so in the past, and I've had no
> response to my previous mentions of this problem.
>
> In summary - Great software, but too often, a lousy attitude.
>

> On 09/09/2012 02:25 PM, Wesley Werner wrote:
>
> Hi Navdeep
>
> Please stop cross posting on multiple lists. It is bad netiquette, as is
> recreating new threads and shouting with exclamation.
>
> Try researching your issue online, then if you still need help, tell the
> list what you have tried to fix your problem with relevant links or
> commands.
>
> Now please go study for your internet license [1].
>
> [1]: www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html

Sadly I have to agree with Robin...answers like this...are not good
for encouraging new users,the correct way to handle this might be to
give a light push in the correct direction...and then mentioning the
netiquette link?  I know you all are busy but Ii have learned a lot
from this list without asking a lot of questions. I'm by no means a
expert, but put me in front of a broken system and I can figure out
whats wrong, sometimes even with things I learned here, so please yes
if you are iritated/busy rather do not answer wait for someone to
shove some info in the right direction. it will help alot for this
list to grow.