[ubuntu-za] Damaged Evolution 3.2.3

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 10 12:26:55 UTC 2012

Hi Charles (2012.09.10_13:04:43_+0200)
> Will Mail folders be kept if I remove Evolution and re-install? Must I
> copy back the .evolution folder before I re-install?

Yes they'll be kept. Installing/Uninstalling a package will never touch
anything in your home directory. Your data and settings should never by
lost by removing a package.

Of course, the first time you run an application after upgrading it, it
may try and migrate your old data & settings. And that could lose you
data.

> Now the .evolution folder has disappeared. I do have the .evolution
> backup file before the upgrade.

As I understand it, Evolution now follows the XDG base directory
standard, and stores most of its data in ~/.local/share/evolution

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

I suggest deleting that, restoring your backup, and trying the migration
process again.

(That said, I don't know any of the specifics here. I'm guessing...)

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/