[ubuntu-za] ubuntu 12.10 daily live not able to use

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 5 22:00:53 UTC 2012

Hi Raoul (2012.09.05_23:50:17_+0200)
> On 04/09/2012 19:38, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> >Normal install, nothing.
> >Downloaded the ALPHA. It install up to "choose a picture", then hangs.
> >Still a lot of bugs
>
> It's an alpha release, what do you expect? No one should be running
> alpha releases as their main systems. Even beta releases should only
> be run by the most brave of developers.

It's really not all *that* bad. We try really hard to make the
development release usable every day, so we can get as many testers
running it as possible.

Considering that beta 1 is coming out tomorrow, I'd wait for that.

We put a lot of testing into getting working Alphas and Betas. Almost as
much as goes into the final release ISO. An Alpha/Beta won't be released
if it can't be installed by anyone. (Although it may not install for
some people, all software is buggy...)

> The daily builds are even more inclined to break, they don't have
> tested code, they have, "hrm, I have an idea, I wonder if it will
> work" code.

No. They have tested code. Not every daily is usable, but that's more
because the archive was broken in some way at the time it was built.
Once you've installed, you get passed all those issues, anyway.

> Stick to the official releases if you want your computer to work.

Yeah. Stick to stable releases for getting work done.
But please play with alphas and betas.

Personally, I only run development releases. And I get work done. But
I'm prepared to deal with really interesting breakages, and fix them :)

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/