[ubuntu-za] Mint 13 as a web server

Alf Stockton alf at stockton.co.za
Sun Oct 7 13:50:01 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 12:20, Charl Wentzel wrote:
> There are two benefits of CGI:
> - speed
> faster than any scripted language, but probably only an issue if you
> doing complicated things.
> - closed source
> probably not the ideal benefit to mention on a Linux forum: -)

Charl please don't take the following personally but ......
1) I never said that I was building an open source system.
2) I never said that I was building a "free as in beer" or any other
kind of free system.
3) My client, the man/woman who holds the gold, gets a copy of the
source with each new version.
4) I am using Linux as it is the appropriate tool to the task.
5) I am also using Mint as it is appropriate to the task.
6) Most of Linux is written in C, or derivatives thereof, and I don't
see that as a problem.
7) and finally, well written C, is a lot more secure than most other
options.
BTW, see the 1st line, CGIs can also be written in scripted languages.
> That said I think the list of disadvantages is longer.
Other than that most "techies" don't understand C what other
disadvantages do you see?

--
Regards,
Alf Stockton                 www.stockton.co.za