[ubuntu-za] Mint 13 as a web server

Tom Bamford tom at bamford.co.za
Sat Oct 6 19:24:21 UTC 2012

On 6 October 2012 13:03, Alf Stockton <alf at stockton.co.za> wrote:

> I am attempting to use cgi scripts on my local server running Mint 13 and
> I know that I am sending this to an Ubuntu forum, forgive me if you will.
> If I browse to http://doghouse.dyndns-web.**com/bryn/register.html<http://doghouse.dyndns-web.com/bryn/register.html>which is a web page on my above mentioned box and submit after filling in
> the form, which should now run a cgi script I wrote in C I get told that
> Apache does not know what to do with this file. It is in /usr/lib/cgi-bin
> as well as the current directory and both versions are executable and are
> named decode.cgi.
> Please tell me what I have done wrong.

Your form action on the page you linked to is set to "decode.cgi" with no
path information. Shouldn't it be "/cgi-bin/decode.cgi"? You only need the
copy in your cgi-bin directory.

Do you have a cgi-bin configured in Apache? On Debian/Ubuntu it's normally
in the default vhost config at /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.

If I may ask, why on God's green earth are you writing such things in C?

Regards
Tom