[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 12.04 behaviour

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon May 28 19:10:56 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 05:59 PM, Jan Greeff wrote:
>> Since doing a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 from CD's burnt from images
>> that I received from a local computer shop, the owner of which is a
>> keen Ubuntu user, my system has been freezing regularly at the drop
>> of a hat. The screen goes gray and everything freezes for a few
>> seconds but sometimes it lasts for a few minutes.

In my experience this is typical of hardware problems.  Most likely
culprits are RAM, screen card, CPU fan, power supply.

I recently had a machine with a dual boot setup for Windows and Ubuntu.
No problems with Ubuntu, but Windows started crashing regularly.
Re-installation of Windows, disk defragmentation, RAM test, etc. nothing
solved it. In the end it was the screen card, which somehow only
affected Windows and and not Ubuntu.

Same occurred to a friend of mine.  Upgraded from Win XP to Win 7.  No
problems with XP but as soon as he upgraded the machine hung regularly.
In his case the cause was the RAM.

It's conceivable that a problem could also appear in some versions for
Ubuntu and not in others.

I suggest you start with a RAM test and have a look at /var/log/syslog
for clues.  Good Luck!

Regards
Charl