[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 12.04 behaviour

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Mon May 28 16:27:21 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 05:59 PM, Jan Greeff wrote:
> Since doing a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 from CD's burnt from images
> that I received from a local computer shop, the owner of which is a
> keen Ubuntu user, my system has been freezing regularly at the drop of
> a hat. The screen goes gray and everything freezes for a few seconds
> but sometimes it lasts for a few minutes.
>
> It seems to happen at any time, during Thunderbird mail operations,
> Libre Office documents, software centre operations, browsing, etc.
>
> It is happening on the 64 bit installation on my machine as well as on
> the 32 bit installation on the one that my wife is using.
>
> I followed up the installation by running upgrade and update on both
> machines.
>
> Are there any suggestions about where to from here?
>
> Jan

I've also been experiencing similar problems on my 32 bit installation.
They have improved somewhat since I substituted Google Chrome browser
for FireFox. (I had begun to notice that I was beginning to get a lot of
script errors from Firefox) However, the problem is not completely solved.

I use Gimp for all of my photo manipulation, and have noticed that one
or two of the built-in Gimp tools have a considerable delay between
appearing on the screen and when they become usable. (application screen
greys and mouse clicks have no effect within the application) I've been
using Ubuntu & Gimp for my photo editing for years, and this is the
first time that I've experienced this problem. Not sure if this is the
same problem, but it looks and feels similar.

Not sure whether it has anything to do with anything, but I am having
trouble (along with many other people, it would seem) with Samba 4.0,
which installed itself, in alpha version, somewhere along the line. This
causes errors when I un/install applications. I suppose it is
conceivable that it is causing other problems as well.

I'd also be really keen to hear if any of the boffins can shed some
light on this.

Robin