[ubuntu-za] High a laptop that is OS independent with a decent warranty for Ubuntu?

Tom Bamford tom at aims.ac.za
Thu May 24 13:43:43 UTC 2012

On 22 May 2012 10:25, Paul Young <paulysa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I purchased a Dell N5110, mostly for its 3 year warranty with
> Windows x64 Home Premium. If I had removed Windows and put Ubuntu on it the
> 3 year warranty would have been forfeited.
>
> Thus, is there a way to purchase decent laptop hardware and not be bound to
> Microsoft or Mac in South Africa?
>
> A brief internet search suggests this to be possible overseas.
>
> Thanks

In the UK at least, a manufacturer would not be able to get away with
refusing to honour a warranty because you replaced the OS. Perhaps the
CPA provides similar protection here?

That said, I would be likely to keep the Windows install and dual
boot, as others have suggested. Try upgrading a BIOS or firmware, or
accessing manufacturer tech support, when running only Linux. PITA.
And of course you can wipe the Linux install and expand the Windows
partition should you ever need to return it (although wiping the whole
drive would achieve the same).

Regards
Tom

--
System Administrator
African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Jabber: tom at aims.ac.za
Web: www.aims.ac.za