[ubuntu-za] High a laptop that is OS independent with a decent warranty for Ubuntu?

Mark Widdicombe markwiddicombe at gmail.com
Tue May 22 08:30:57 UTC 2012

On 22 May 2012 10:25, Paul Young <paulysa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I purchased a Dell N5110, mostly for its 3 year warranty with
> Windows x64 Home Premium. If I had removed Windows and put Ubuntu on it the
> 3 year warranty would have been forfeited.
>
> Thus, is there a way to purchase decent laptop hardware and not be bound to
> Microsoft or Mac in South Africa?
>
> A brief internet search suggests this to be possible overseas.
>
> Thanks

The answer, unfortunately, is no.  There are a couple of laptops
available from Sahara and Proline that come with Linux preinstalled,
but they are the 'bottom of the line' that Windows wouldn't work on
properly (does it work properly on anything?)

If you've already bought, it's better to keep the Windows install and
dual-boot Ubuntu.  Then if anything goes wrong your warranty is OK,
and, moreover, you will have the Windows installed when or if you want
to resell the machine.