[ubuntu-za] Copying files

frans dormakorp at vodamail.co.za
Thu Mar 8 08:42:39 UTC 2012

On 12/03/08 08:26, Bill Cairns wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM, frans<dormakorp at vodamail.co.za>  wrote:
>> On 12/03/08 06:56, Tom Bamford wrote:
>>> On 7 March 2012 20:07, Bill Cairns<cairnsww at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:cairnsww at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>     I often use something like:
>>>
>>>     cp -uR /home/bill/ebooks /media/Andrew/BupBill
>>>
> <cut>
>>> Hi Bill
>>>
>>> I know you said you wanted a GUI method, however rsync will do what you
>>> want with the minimum of typing and fuss:
>>>
>>> rsync -av /home/bill/ebooks/ /media/Andrew/BupBill
>>>
>>> Perhaps you can save this, and other commands, into a shell script on your
>>> disk called Andrew so that you can invoke it with a double click in
>>> Nautilus.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Tom
> Thanks Tom, William and others,
>
> I am not scared of the CLI but it does increase the chances of errors
> because of typing mistakes. The example I gave is a simple one, and I
> would prefer a GUI simply to minimise the typing I have to do. I
> already have my commonly used copy statements stored in scripts, but
> there are often 'once off' requirements where it would be nice to have
> a shortcut.
>
> I will study rsync and its GUI interfaces and give them a try.
>
> Bill

would still be nice to see it in the default copy handler though it
could not be that much extra coding to do can it?

One extra option and probably max ten lines of code extra to do the
work? some should be able to do in less.

--
  When working on a computer you have to know enough:
  To fake what you don't know.

Frans de Waal
IT Manager/
Dormakorp