[ubuntu-za] Copying files

Tom Bamford tom at aims.ac.za
Thu Mar 8 04:56:28 UTC 2012

On 7 March 2012 20:07, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:

> I often use something like:
>
> cp -uR /home/bill/ebooks /media/Andrew/BupBill
>
> to back up a directory. The advantage is that if nothing has changed
> between my current ebooks directory and the one on Andrew, there is no
> time wasted.

Hi Bill

I know you said you wanted a GUI method, however rsync will do what you
want with the minimum of typing and fuss:

rsync -av /home/bill/ebooks/ /media/Andrew/BupBill

Perhaps you can save this, and other commands, into a shell script on your
disk called Andrew so that you can invoke it with a double click in
Nautilus.

Regards
Tom

--
System Administrator
African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Jabber: tom at aims.ac.za
Web: www.aims.ac.za