[ubuntu-za] Vodafone webbook

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Tue Jul 31 08:32:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Michael Graaf wrote:

> >Andy Rabagliati wrote:
>
> >I am going to see if the installer will recognise CDs from
> >http://mirror.is.co.za/debian-cd/6.0.5/armel/iso-cd/
> >written to a flash stick.
>
> Please do report-back! as another webbook user I have been
> bewildered by attempts to update via Software Centre. A few months
> ago (this year) it breathlessly informed me that new release 11.04
> was available, but when I attempted to upgrade, it aborted.

It boots a quite familiar debian bootloader (from partition 1?)
and then fails to find a "CD" - I tried the CD written to the raw
device /dev/sda and the partition /dev/sda1.

Previously, it managed to upgrade the kernel from
http://charlotte.archive.canonical.com/pool/public/l/linux-charlotte/

Looking at the source for that, there is a long changelog, that mentions
the Freescale IMX51 - the processor used in the webbook.

Looking in http://charlotte.archive.canonical.com/dists/ I see no
binary-armel releases under maverick-*/public - so I think there is
no maverick upgrade.

For natty, there is natty-foshan/public/binary-armel - but the
Packages list only mentions a mouse driver and unity-2d, no kernel.

Ditto - nothing for oneiric-*/public/binary-armel or precise-*.

Stefano suggests https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro-mx51

I will try emailing some of the folks mentioned in the changelog.

Cheers,     Andy!