[ubuntu-za] 12.04 Applications crash

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:06:51 UTC 2012

An update - the problem is definitely a Unity problem - I also have
Xubuntu installed and Gimp runs fine there.  So at the moment i am
running Xubuntu to do my Gimp and Scribus stuff and am pushing on with
Unity for everything else. A bit of a nuisance but not really a
problem - it just means a lot of logs out and log ins.   Xubuntu is
actually a great system although it has this strange tendency to get
its knickers knotted occasionally - my advice to anyone thinking of
going the Xubuntu route is to remember the command "xfwm4 --daemon"
which fixes everything like magic. (I have no idea what it does but it
does work!)

Bill