[ubuntu-za] Font installer blocking updates

Tom Bamford tom at aims.ac.za
Sun Jul 1 12:58:26 UTC 2012

On 1 July 2012 12:09, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:
> After downloading the Installer for Microsoft True Type Fonts, my system
> refuses to install the package, warning that it's from an untrusted source.
>
> Now this installer is blocking all updates and installations from the
> software center. Also, I do not seem to find a way to remove it.
>
> The updates installation manager does not even allow me to uncheck the item
> in order to install other updates.
>
> Seems like anything related to Microsoft works like a virus on Ubuntu. How
> do I get rid of this bug?
>
> I am running on Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> Jan

Hi Jan

Unless it is a known issue with that package, then running "sudo
apt-get update" either now or in 24-48 hours time should solve the
problem.

In the meantime, removing the package with "sudo apt-get remove
ttf-mscorefonts-installer" should work around the issue.

Regards
Tom

--
System Administrator
African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Jabber: tom at aims.ac.za
Web: www.aims.ac.za