[ubuntu-za] Printer Recommendation

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Thu Jan 26 15:36:34 UTC 2012

On 01/26/2012 02:25 AM, Andre Rossouw wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I'm going to buy a printer later today, and was wondering if anyone
> was prepared to share their experiences?
> Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit is what I'm running, and my requirements are
> colour printer with scanning ability. I don't particularly want one of
> those 4-in-1 multi-functions.

I recommend splitting them.  With HP, almost all pure printers will work
well.  (Some newer bargain Ink Jets have issues, but that is about it)
A Used HP, Smasung or Xeros color laser is a good bet, and cheaper.  I
have a HP 2550n that is a workhorse.

Then get a good scanner.  The multifunction scanners will give you
headaches...  As to which, if you have small loads, try and find a used
Cannon Lide Scan.  They are plentiful, and they are also USB powered.
It is nice to have a scanner in your laptop bag.  (Admittedly large bag,
but...)  Or, you can often find the large HP scanners with a document
feeder on the used market as well.

			Lee