[ubuntu-za] add repo

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Thu Feb 16 23:20:27 UTC 2012

On 16/02/2012 18:31, Miles wrote:
> <--SNIP-->
> I find it hard to believe that if, on a clean install. one copys the
> whole /var/cache/apt/archives from a working machine or local repo that
> the simple command like sudo apt-get update doesn look whats in your
> archives till it has first gone online to see whats inna sky. there must
> be a way to make update see whats available already on your pc?

The reason why that won't work is because apt stores a list of the
available packages in /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin and
/var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin when you run apt-get update. If you do a
fresh install the list of available packages in those files will be
different from the available packages on your old machine. In theory I
suppose you could copy those two files as well to the new machine and it
should work but I've never tried it. It might be worth testing.

Hannes