[ubuntu-za] Help finding a Sun Java JDK

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:43:04 UTC 2012

Java 6 is pretty much at the end of it's life, so consider using java 7
https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/webupd8_java?dist=quantal

On 3 December 2012 14:28, Nico Michael <nick.michael at ptaisp.co.za> wrote:

>  Hi there
>
> It seems that the Ubuntu community has eventually discontinued allowing
> Java developers from getting the Sun JDK
>
> in the past I googled and was able to get a sun JDK but now not so easy
> any more
>

> I have been Googeling and going from one site to the next I just cant find
> Sun (Oracle ) java 1.6
> Have they deleted Oracle java from these sites because of Oracle license
> conditions ?
>
> i am trying to find a Ubuntu site where I can do a :
> sudo apt-get install ....Sun..Java....1.6.X  after adding a repository
> that has
>

> i tried to
> sudo add-app repository  ppa:feramroberto/java
>  and
> sudo apt-get update
>  and
>  sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer
> and got errors that the java does not exist
>
> I get unable top locate package oracle-java6-installer
>
> *I also tried this without success :(* sun-java6-jdk has no installation
> candidate) :
>
>     1
>  2
>  3
>  4
>  5
>  6
>  7
>   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
>  sudo apt-get update
>  ---OR---
>  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sun-java-community-team/sun-java6
>  sudo apt-get update
>  ---
>  sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jdk
> sun-java6-fonts
>
> --
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Nico Michaelhttp://www.arduino.org.za