[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu/OSS desktop for kids

Celeste Herbert celeste at cyberjacket.co.za
Mon Aug 20 07:59:27 UTC 2012

Hey there

In my opinion linux is defiantly the way to go!! I setup a PC for my 5 year old niece with edubuntu. (She loves it as it is for all ages and sooooooo educational..

My mom being the not so technically minded bean counter wanted to purchase her a 2nd PC just for windows as my nieces school uses windows.

So my conclusion was the little ones @ school use the MS office suite , paint and maybe a few educational apps (which edubuntu BEATS hands down)

I contemplated dual booting but decided against it. I loaded Edubuntu installed all educational apps for her age group. I loaded Wine to install all the windows apps she uses, in her case ms office and paint lol

I have also loaded a virtualbox with a ms OS so she has the same as the school. ( Which she hates!! Lol I have turned her into a full blown linux fan) hehehehehe

Any ways that's my 2 cents...

Have fun

Celeste