[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu/OSS desktop for kids

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Aug 20 07:55:16 UTC 2012

On 20/08/2012 09:35, Percy Langa wrote:
> Im in the process of setting up a PC for two kids aged 5 & 7. My aim
> is really simple: get the kids to familiarise themselves with PCs,
> learn (math, eng, geography, biology, etc), play games & watch movies.
>
> Now, my first instinct to install linux :) but Im a bit concerned that
> their school PCs are Windows. Will they be bothered by the differences
> between windows and linux? Should I worry at all?

I think you are too concerned about the differences!  My kids are 5 & 8
and have been using a PC at home since 3 years of age.  I've introduced
them to both Linux since the age of 4.  I have a dedicated PC just for
them configured with Dual Boot; Win 7 and Edubuntu.  The both now how to
boot into the operating system the want to get to the activities the
want.  You can even download some fancy boot loaders that gives you
operating system icons rather then the GRUB text list, which will make
it even easier for them to understand.

My opinion, let them have both and get used to both.  The sooner they
learn about these things, the better.  They'll adapt much faster than
you think and reap the benefits in future.

Regards
Charl