[ubuntu-za] Home backup solution (suggestions) [off-topic]

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:56:11 UTC 2011

> Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za> wrote...
>
> > Cloud is just a buzzword for running your server(s) on virtualized
> > hardware in stead of a physical machine
>
> Yes and no. Virtualisation is part of a "cloud" strategy, but is not the
> only part. Read wikipedia's article [1] for comprehensive explanation of
> "cloud". The statement above describes virtual infrastructure.
>
> I do agree on it being a buzzword though, you should see Dilbert [2] for
> a good laugh.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
> [2] http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-01-07/
>
> Regards,
> --
> Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za>

Yes yes I know, but didn't want to go into the whole thing. I expected
someone to correct me, so thanks :-)

IMO "cloud" is just a 'new' way of provisioning IT infrastructure using tech
that's existed for years.

There also seem to be as many definitions for it as there are people you
ask.
But, you'll be hard pressed to find a commercial cloud provider whose
service is not virtualized - the virtual infrastructure and the scalability
it implies...
to me that is the gist of it and the only real interesting (differentiating)
part, the rest is just fluff (web-apps, management clients, API's, SAO - it
depends on what you do with it).

Reading that wikipedia article you still don't get a clear picture of what
it really is.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, so you're welcome to comment
further.
--
Péter Nel